Madh Fort (also called Versova Fort) is a small fort in northern Mumbai, India situated at Madh Island. It was built by the Portuguese and lost it in February 1739 during the war against Maratha empire. It is secluded and difficult to reach, about 15 kilometres (9 mi) from Malad and is the last stop on route 271 of BEST bus service or via Versova by ferry boat. It is situated nearAksa Beach. The fort was built by the Portuguese as a watchtower in the 17th century. It offers a strategic view of the coastline and guards the Marve Creek. Its external façade is intact but internally it is dilapidated. It is under control of the Indian Air Force as it is located close to an Indian Air Force base and permission is needed for accessing it. Madh Island fort is surrounded by local fishermen's communities.